Transforming beer bottles, wine bottles, glass, and mason jars into wonderful art pieces is a pastime for many people. This creative transformation recycles the waste, but unfortunately, most people aren’t aware of how they can recycle glass.
Some people might melt the glass to create art pieces, and glass-cutting parties are also held. The sky is the limit to creating art out of empty wine bottles; you can make flower pots, chandeliers, and much more.
Wine bottle cutters are cutters that are designed to cut all types of glass. This mechanism holds the wine bottle firmly in its place while cutting it. The cutting machine is equipped with a board that acts as the base and is fitted with several cutting elements.
These glass cutters require steadiness, which is why the user needs to hold the bottle firmly while the cutter does its job. Holding the bottle helps the cutter cut consistently and efficiently. Once the cutter is done with the wine bottle, the user applies cold and hot water to separate bottle pieces. The sharp corners of the bottle are then smoothened by sandpaper.
Some benefits of wine cutters:
- They prevent serious injuries
- They score bottles accurately and precisely
- Allow you to do DIY tasks with friends and family members
Table of Contents
Quality of Wine Bottle Cutters
Customers should always look for sturdy and durable products, and wine bottle cutters are no exception. You should invest in glass cutters that are made of high-quality materials, are robust, and capable of lasting a long time. The cutter should also do its job efficiently and take care of the sharp edges of the glass bottle.
Usually, glass bottle cutters are made of metal and plastic; however, on a few rare occasions, you might find one made of wood. The board that forms the cutter’s base is also made of wood or metal, and the cutter comes fitted with plastic holders. Most top-quality glass cutters are either made of stainless steel or polycarbonate plastic material.
Types of Bottles You Can Cut
Customers usually buy bottle cutters depending on the type of bottles they want to cut. Every bottle cutter is different and is designed to cut specific glass bottles.
Some glass cutting machines are so specific that they only cut cylindrical glass bottles, while other cutters are made to deal with bottles that have a tampered glass. You can also find some cutters in the market that are designed for cutting bottlenecks. However, these cutters might be more expensive than normal glass bottle cutters.
Glass Cutting Tool Kit
Before buying glass cutters, you must always look at the tool kit because you will need other tools such as grinding stones and sandpaper while cutting glass bottles. Always buy tool kits that come with a wheel adjusting tool that looks a hex key.
A tapping tool is often included in glass cutting tool kits; this tool helps break the unnecessary parts of the glass bottle. However, if your kit does not include a tapping tool, buy one because it is essential. Also, make sure that the tool kit you invest in contains a guidebook.
How to Use It?
The common varieties of glass cutting bottles come with a board that is made of wood or metal. The board firmly holds other cutting elements such as wheels and holders. Below is a small guide on how to use a glass bottle cutter.
- Use a glass bottle that can handle the requirements of your bottle.
- Thoroughly clean the bottle, get rid of all the dust, and dry the bottle completely. Particles on the surface of the bottle can damage the blades of the cutting tool.
- Wear gloves that are cut-resistant and put some form of protection on your eyes as well.
- Make sure you make a score line on your bottle before cutting it.
- Follow the instructions mentioned in the guidebook, and then prepare the rollers. If your cutter came with a wheel adjustment tool, then use it.
- Once you have set up the bottle cutter, press it down and make sure it rotates on the rollers. Always have a firm and steady grip around the bottle. Once the bottle is scored, you will hear a click sound.
- Once you hear that sound, pour cold and hot water alternatively, make sure the water is poured on the cut and not on other parts of the bottle.
- With the help of the tapping tool, carefully separate the bottle.
- Use a grindstone or sandpaper to smoothen the edges of the bottle.
- Try not to cut the bottle too deep, as it will become difficult to separate and can also break.
- Make sure your workplace is properly lighted.
Glass Bottle Cutters with Rollers
Most bottle cutters have a similar design and function; however, those bottle cutters that come with rollers are easier to use. The rollers are fitted in the board, so all you need to do is lay the bottle on the board and then score it. Make sure that you put pressure on the bottle.
Glass Bottle Cutters without Rollers
Operating glass bottles that come without rollers can be tough to operate; however, once users get the hang of the machine, it becomes easy to operate. Glass bottle cutters that come without rollers are usually fitted with an element that hooks the bottle. It is difficult to keep the bottle steady with this glass cutter, so make sure you lay the cutter on the floor before operating it.
The Best Wine Bottle Cutters
1. Creator Bottle Cutter
- Comes with ball bearings that have a rubber coating; this keeps the glass safe from cracking.
- Easy to operate.
- Made of polycarbonate plastic and Stainless steel.
- Made in the US.
- Slightly more expensive than other cutter brands.
2. AGPtEK Bottle Cutter
- Cutting height can be adjusted (2 to 9 inches)
- Portable and extremely lightweight
- Easy to operate
- Creative and innovative design
- Durable, long-lasting, and sturdy
- Only works on straight bottles
- Not accompanied by sandpaper or a grinding stone.